Thursday, May 13, 2010

My favorite children's books!

Kelly's Korner this week is all about children's books!!!  I could seriously talk about children's books ALLLL day and selecting my favorites is near impossible! I teach 1st grade and have my masters degree in Reading and am considering going back to get a 2nd Masters in Library Science so I can be a librarian! :)

Books are my passion and I have waaaay too many in my classroom. So here are a few of my favorites:
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive The Bus by Mo Willems-this book is one of my favs to read to my kiddos.  Mo Willems writes the funniest, wittiest books!  There are several in the series that include "Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late", "The Pigeon Finds a Hotdog", "The Pigeon wants a Puppy".
  • Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak-oh the imagination of a little boy! This one I love to read to my class!

  • Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini-this book is hysterical! Look for snippets of other familiar stories in this one!
  • The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg-this is an AMAZING book filled with uncompleted stories.  Chris Van Allsburg is a genius...you may know him from Jumanji! I used this book with 4th graders and the assignment was to finish each story...oh it was a blast!
  • Holes by Louis Sachar-you may have seen this movie...the book is fantastic! My husband (an avid non reader) even loved it!
  • Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli-a great read for middle school age girls!
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes-I own every single book written by Kevin Henkes...he captures the essence of kids so well! You will fall in love with Lilly and all his other characters!
  • Let me Hold you longer by Karen Kingsbury-seriously moms don't read this one without tissues present!
  • Thank YOu Mr. FAlker-by Patricia Polacco-Polacco is an amazing author and this book is especially touching...especially for teachers!

16 comments:

Steph said...

My kids love Don't let the pigeon drive the bus. That is a fun book to get really animated with!

The Fincher Family said...

I teach first grade also, I used Don't Let the Pigeons Drive the bus and the others this year to teach persuasive writing. My kids LOVED it! I am in the process of packing up my classroom and I am on my 6th tub of just books. I have a problem and I cant stop! I know that Scholastic loves me because I order hundreds from them every year!

Val, Brax and Harper said...

i just bought "let me hold you longer" and i can't read it w/out crying... so it is still sitting on the shelf! GREAT book tho!

Rachel Moss said...

Oh, your book recs are fabulous! My daughter is a few years away from being able to enjoy these books, but I look forward to reading them to her in the future.
I've never heard of that Van Allsburg book, but I'll have to look for it.
I was a kinder teacher for 6 years, and I would love to get my Master's in Lib Sci some day. Being a school librarian is one of my dream jobs.

Christa said...

Thank You Mr. Falker is one of my all time favorites too!

Summer said...

What cute book ideas! I will def have to by the Don't let the pigeon drive the bus for my Kelcee! Your daughter is just precious btw and your blog is super cute!

Have a great weekend
xoxo
Summer

Lindsey said...

i LOVED where the wild things are growing up - it was one of my favorite books

Beth McC. said...

LOOOOVVVEEE Dont let the Pigeon Drive the bus- that is a great series! I love reading those to my class-I should have put that on my list!! Great Picks! Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

I totally want to read that Piggy Pie!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Kevin Henkes is one of our favorite authors, especially since he is from WI. Love your picks!

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I love the pigeon books! Great blog! I became a follower!

Alyssa said...

I LOVE the pigeon books, too! We had to buy them all! I always read them and represent my voice based on the pigeon's faces. When my son took the book to school to share with his class, he corrected his teacher on each page because she didn't say it just like I do! She thought that was so funny!

elizabeth bennett said...

Thanks for sharing your love of children's books! You and your daughter will love tiger tales books (I hope!). We are a small publisher of whimsical, colorful, touching, magical picture books and board books for young children. Please check us out on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Wilton-CT/tiger-tales/183496001305?ref=ts
Happy Reading,
Elizabeth
tiger tales

Shoshanah said...

I remember loving Holes back when I first read it. And I definitely read of Kevin Henkes' books growing up. Although I'm pretty sure Lily's Purple Plastic purse was published after I moved on from his books.

Unknown said...

first of all I love your blog, secondly your daughter in the 8 month outfit, LOVE IT> and mygirl friend did that with her son in the same chair for a whole year i wanted to copy but only did 2 months, bad mom.. I bet you scapbook amazing.. I am your newest follower and so glad I found you we have some things in common.. I hope you visit me too
http://nf1andpre-kwhisper.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow. Gritch and I are honored to be part of such a great bunch of books and authors!
Margie Palatini
margiepalatini.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails