Monday, April 6, 2009

3 hour glucose test

I went today for my 3 hour glucose test. I got there around 8:00 (my mom went with me) and they did my first blood draw around 8:30. They had trouble getting a vein so pricked me a couple of times. Then I drank the sweet stuff (this time it was twice as sweet but still not terrible.) Then I just had to wait and have blood drawn every hour for 3 hours. I did fine until the last 20 minutes or so (right before they drew my last blood). Then I got really dizzy and lightheaded and thought I was going to pass out. The techs said that my sugar had probably bottomed out (considering I hadn't ate/drank in over 18 hours!). So they gave me some juice and I scarfed down a NutriGrain bar. Then we went to get some lunch. I feel better now...just really drained and exhausted. I'm fighting a head/chest cold on top of everything so that hasn't helped! I called to get my results this afternoon and my nurse had left so I had to talk to another nurse. She said that her doctor requires a high reading on 2 out of the 4 blood draws to diagnose diabetes. I was high on one (the one right after I drank the glucose stuff). So she said my doctor would look at it and contact me if they needed me to do anything else. So overall it wasn't too bad...except that they had to stick me EIGHT times to draw blood 4 times. I'm hard to find a vein in...they even had to resort to taking it from the inside of my wrist the last time...scary!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails