Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A day like no other

What an unbelievable day. This morning before 8:00 our assistant principal came over the intercom...her voice was visibly shaken. She told us there was an incident outside and we were to be put into lockdown. Thank god I had just gone over our lockdown procedures yesterday. My kids were prepared and handled the situation perfectly. So we sat in lockdown for about 30 minutes or so. Soon after I heard the tragic news that one of our kindergateners had been hit by a car in front of the school. Tragically, once he got to the hospital he passed away. I always heard that in being a teacher, you must learn to cope and deal with tragedies such as this. But it's impossible to prepare yourself for what happened today. Our school...the incredible school that I love so dearly was rocked to its core. We pulled together and supported each other. I cannot express the amount of community support we recieved today. Pastors from local churches were there for guidance...they even pulled together and brought lunch for the staff. My heart aches so intensely for that little boy and his family. I cannot imagine what they are going through tonight. All I can do is pray for them and ask that anyone who reads this do the same.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails