Sunday, January 20, 2008

Being a teacher


The events of this past week have made me reflect on my decision to become a teacher. I began college with the major of chemistry...yeah, I knew that wouldn't work. Looking back now I can only laugh at the thought of majoring in chemistry. But I soon changed it to education after having a class in high school that placed us in the kindergarten classroom for a 9 weeks and working a the community school for a summer. I knew that teaching is where I wanted to be. I enjoy being around kids...I get them. I can communicate with them (sometimes better than with adults). The freedom of the summer and the hours worked were also a draw. But now that I have been teaching for several years I realize that is not why I went into the field. I genuinely love teaching them. I love seeing my kiddos come into my classroom in August pretty much little babies. They leave my classroom in May strong readers (hopefully), creative writers, and mathematical thinkers. I always said I wanted to teach any grade except first. First grade was too much of a transition from the simplistic kindergarten to the fast paced, content rich first grade. Besides that, I HATED my own experience in first grade. I still remember the stress of it all. I hope and pray now that I am not putting that pressure on my own students. I love my students; I know them. I spend eight hours a day with them for almost an entire year. I truly become attached to my kiddos and their families. So here is a pic of my students this year...what a great bunch I have. I have also posted a link to my classroom website on the right side of the page for anyone who's interested in what we do!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails