Sunday, June 1, 2008

13 hour work day...




Travis and I are EXHAUSTED! We got to the house this morning at 8:00 a.m....and we got home to the apartment this evening not long before 9:00 p.m. We had Juan (one of our workers) helping us all day. He worked 10 hours on caulking and spackling the trim alone. Travis and I began the day by taking all the doors out of the frames and then taking all the hinges off. Then we set them all up in the living room so that we could paint them. While Travis sprayed the doors I went up to the bonus room to begin to roll paint it the final color. In that room, the ceiling and the walls combine so we had to texturize the whole thing. Thank goodness that is the only room that is that way. I HATE painting textured walls. The paint splatters everywhere and you have to go over the walls time and again to get good coverage. I worked several hours to paint that room...I got finished except for cutting in around the trim (Travis does that because I mess it up) and a small portion of the ceiling. Then we began to paint all the trim (the crown molding, baseboards, door trim, etc.) We still didn't get that finished before it began to get dark. We had to re-install the outside doors so we could lock up. And then we had to clean it all up so we can begin again tomorrow!


One thing I have heard alot of lately is that it's "easy" to paint new homes because there is no furniture or carpet to worry about. And that is absolutely true. However, one must realize in paiting a new home there is NO ELECTRICITY! That means no air conditioning (in 90 degree weather now mind you) and no lights. We will have no idea what our "true" paint color is until our lights are installed later. We may hate it...who knows! I know I'm a little testy about it...but I used to really enjoy painting but I am beginning to hate it. It's quite daunting to look around the house and know that every surface has to be painted several times!


Here is a picture of a great way to paint both sides of doors at the same time. Attach a board across the top to hold them all up. In the end we had three sets like this one. Here are also two pictures of the bonus room color. Keep in mind the only light in that room is coming from a small window so the true color is still unknown!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails